Olive Shoots Early Childhood Centre
Our Mission Statement: to create a space for children, their families and the teachers to belong, to believe, to discover and to grow.
At Olive Shoots our qualified and experienced teachers provide professional care and education for your children in a purpose build centre on site at Laidlaw College while you attend lectures and study.
- Olive Shoots is fully licensed by the Ministry of Education for 50 children and is divided into 3 rooms:
10 X under 2 year-olds with 3 teachers
20 X 2 to 3.5 year-olds with 4 teachers
20 X 3.5 to 5 year-olds with 3 teachers
- We have excellent ratios and an educational curriculum that reflects our special character.
- The centre is open from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
- Our session times are: 8:30 am -12:30 pm (for 2 year-olds & under), 8:30 am - 3:00 pm, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
- We offer 20 hours of free ECE per week to all 3 and 4 year-olds.
Programme and Philosophy
The educational programme offered at Olive Shoots is based on Te Whariki, New Zealand’s early childhood curriculum and reflects the Christian ethos of our centre while respecting the cultural diversity of the community.
- One of our strong distinctive features is that our programme is enhanced by our special character. Christian songs, stories and prayer are a regular part of our day. We believe encouraging a spiritual faith is a crucial part of the holistic approach to the development of a child.
- As a teaching team, we are committed to Te Whariki, and its principles of Holistic Development, Empowerment, Family & Community and Relationships. These provide a foundation from which all interactions, routines and instructions are taught and modelled in a fun, creative and stimulating way as part of the daily life of our Centre.
- Planning of the programme is based on children’s interests which teachers notice, recognise and respond to. This is supported by a wide variety of activities, experiences and opportunities which seek to stimulate, challenge and extend children.
- Children are encouraged to play and learn within guidelines to promote self-worth, social skills and of course… to have fun!!
- We aim to empower children – through responsive and reciprocal relationships with significant people, places, and events – to be lifelong learners. We believe children are part of a community of learners. We see working in partnership with families and the wider community as an important part of your child’s time at our centre.
- A portfolio of observations, photos and samples of children’s work is compiled for each child during their time at Olive Shoots.
- To read the Centre’s Education Review please go to www.ero.govt.nz.
Enrolling your child with us
Phone Olive Shoots for an enrolment pack on 09 836 7838, or call in and pick one up, or email oliveshoots/laidlaw.ac.nz.