Counselling Lecturer Auckland
Laidlaw College is the largest tertiary-level evangelical, interdenominational college in New Zealand. As a private training establishment, we offer quality education in theology, mission and ministry, counselling and education, with campuses in Henderson, Manukau and Christchurch.
Our three-year Bachelor of Counselling (BCouns) degree prepares students to become a registered counsellor with either the New Zealand Association of Counsellors or the New Zealand Christian Counsellors Association. With Christian thought and practice integrated throughout, and with a uniquely immersive mix of classroom, practicum, group and mentored learning, the BCouns is for those who want to build a career in counselling, or those who want to develop lifelong skills for working with people.
We want to hear from counselling practitioners and scholars who have a vision for working with a committed team of counsellor educators. We are looking for a person who cares deeply about developing theologically reflective, ethically robust and effective counselling practitioners. Our ideal candidate will also have a vital, mature faith in Jesus Christ, in line with Laidlaw’s Statement of Faith and teach in an inspiring and engaging manner.
The Counselling Lecturer role is a two year fixed term opportunity, commencing in January 2022. The role will be Henderson based, with travel to our other campuses in Christchurch and Manukau required periodically. Responsibilities will include teaching in the Counselling programme, provision of leadership for group process groups and promoting the College in the wider community. It may also involve research within the Lecturer’s area of discipline although this is not essential. The role will report to the Head of Counselling. Applications from those who are interested in a .8 (4 days a week) role will also be considered. Please state your preference for full-time or part-time in your application.
Who We’re Looking For
Our ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- A counselling post graduate qualification
- Teaching experience within a tertiary education provider
- Counselling practitioner experience
- A rich understanding of a range of counselling approaches. A particular skill in narrative therapy is required, alongside knowledge of person-centred therapy and an appreciation of how these can be integrated with theology
- Active involvement in a local Christian community of faith and in Christian initiatives in the wider global community
- Commitment to mentoring students and providing an appropriate level of pastoral care
- Experience with e-Learning pedagogies and technologies advantageous
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programmes
We are committed to a work environment that supports wellbeing, encourages professional and personal development and celebrates successes. On our Henderson campus, our facilities include a library, cafe and an early childhood centre (Olive Shoots).
- Regular community gatherings and celebrations with staff and students (including Annual All Staff and Team Retreat Days)
- Free parking and access to a staff discount card
- Regular events and training opportunities to support your professional and personal development
For a position description, please click here.
Please apply via SEEK with a cover letter and CV to register your interest. Applications close 5pm, 27 August 2021.
If you would like to make a time for a confidential phone call to discuss any queries, please e-mail Tracey McDowall, HR Consultant, Laidlaw College, [email protected]