Lecturer, Education (1 FTE Fixed-Term)
We have an exciting opportunity for a Lecturer, Education to join our Christchurch team in 2021. This is a new position. Our teacher education programmes ground graduates in a deeply relational theology, which inspires their presence in the classroom, the way they encounter children and whanau and their valuing of teaching, learning and knowledge.
We are seeking an Aotearoa New Zealand certified and registered teacher to join our diverse and supportive team in training high-quality, innovative, passionate teachers. You will have recent teaching experience in secondary or primary schools and/or in Initial Teacher Education. You will report to the Head of Education and will work closely alongside the other Education Lecturers on our Christchurch and Auckland campuses. Travel to our Auckland campus will be required periodically. This is a full time fixed-term position, however a .8 FTE position (32 hours a week) could be negotiated with the successful applicant. Please let us know in your application if you have a preference for a part-time role.
Whilst a relevant postgraduate qualification and active research plan is an advantage, we are interested in hearing from those with a demonstrated commitment to continued professional growth. This may include postgraduate study and academic research but this is not a requirement.
Who are we looking for?
Our ideal candidate will demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Proven excellence in primary or secondary teaching
- Knowledge and demonstration of Aotearoa New Zealand Teaching Council Code and Standards
- Knowledge of the Aotearoa New Zealand curriculum
- Commitment to mentoring students and providing an appropriate level of pastoral care
- Commitment to culturally-responsive approaches to learning and support
- Understanding of and commitment to Te Tiriti o Waitangi, particularly as it pertains to education
- Experience and exposure to e-Learning pedagogies and technologies
- Active involvement in a local Christian community of faith and in Christian initiatives in the wider community
- Competence in Reo me ona tikanga Māori would be an advantage
- A postgraduate qualification and active research plan (advantageous) and/or a demonstrated commitment to professional growth
- Respect for and ability to engage confidently with women and men, people of all ethnicities and cultures, believers of differing theological and ecclesiastical affiliations, those of other faiths, and people who do not profess faith.
Laidlaw College is the largest tertiary-level Christian college in Aoteraoa New Zealand. As a private training establishment it offers quality education in Theology, Mission and Ministry, Counselling and Education, with campuses in Henderson, Manukau and Christchurch. Laidlaw is an interdenominational, evangelical College, with a strong commitment to the Treaty of Waitangi and to serving our multicultural study community. Education training at Laidlaw is for both those completing Initial Teacher Education (ITE), as well as those who are seeking to deepen and integrate their faith in a variety of educational contexts. Our current Education programmes include a Diploma of Christian Education, Bachelor of Education (Primary), and Graduate Diploma in Education (Secondary).
Our Vision: A world shaped by love, compelled and informed by the Gospel.
Our Mission: To equip students and scholars to renew their communities with a faith as intelligent as it is courageous.
Our Christchurch campus, in Papanui, celebrates learning, community and creativity. The smaller campus and class sizes makes our campus life relationally rich. Throughout the year we have regular community lunches and gatherings together with staff and students. Our work culture supports wellbeing and encourages professional and personal growth.
For a position description, please click here.
Please apply via SEEK with a cover letter and CV to register your interest. Please state your curriculum area strengths in your cover letter. Applications for this role close 5pm, 13 November 2020.
If you would like to make a time for a phone call to discuss any queries, please e-mail Tracey McDowall, HR Consultant, Laidlaw College, [email protected]