We have an exciting opportunity for a Lecturer, Education to join our team in either Auckland or Christchurch in early January 2022. Our Initial Teacher Education programmes ground graduates in a deeply relational theology, which inspires their presence in the classroom, the way they encounter learners and whānau and their valuing of teaching, learning and knowledge.
We are seeking an Aotearoa New Zealand certified and registered teacher to join our diverse and supportive team in training high-quality, innovative, passionate teachers. Our ideal applicant will have recent teaching experience in secondary or Initial Teacher Education, and experience in mentoring and developing student teachers and/or beginning teachers and understanding their needs.
You will report to the Head of Education and will work closely alongside the other Education Lecturers on our Christchurch and Auckland campuses. Travel between our campuses will be required periodically.
Whilst a relevant postgraduate qualification and active research plan is an advantage, we are interested in hearing from those with a demonstrated commitment to continued professional growth.
Who are we looking for?
Our ideal candidate will demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Proven excellence in secondary teaching
- Knowledge and demonstration of Aotearoa New Zealand Teaching Council Code and Standards
- Knowledge of the Aotearoa New Zealand curriculum including NCEA
- Commitment to mentoring students and providing an appropriate level of pastoral care
- Commitment to culturally responsive approaches to learning and support
- Understanding of and commitment to Te Tiriti o Waitangi, particularly as it pertains to education
- Experience and exposure to e-Learning pedagogies and technologies
- Active involvement in a local Christian community of faith and in Christian initiatives in the wider community
- Competence in reo me ona tikanga Māori would be an advantage
- A postgraduate qualification and active research plan (advantageous) and/or a demonstrated commitment to professional growth
- Respect for and ability to engage confidently with women and men, people of all ethnicities and cultures, believers of differing theological and ecclesiastical affiliations, those of other faiths, and people who do not profess faith.
Laidlaw College is the largest tertiary-level Christian college in Aoteraoa New Zealand. As a private training establishment it offers quality education in Theology, Mission and Ministry, Counselling and Education, with campuses in Henderson, Manukau and Christchurch. Laidlaw is an interdenominational, evangelical College, with a strong commitment to the Treaty of Waitangi and to serving our multicultural study community. Education training at Laidlaw is for both those completing Initial Teacher Education (ITE), as well as those who are seeking to deepen and integrate their faith in a variety of educational contexts. Our current Education programmes include a Diploma of Christian Education, Bachelor of Education (Primary), and Graduate Diploma in Education (Secondary).
A world shaped by love, compelled and informed by the Gospel.
To equip students and scholars to renew their communities with a faith as intelligent as it is courageous.
We are committed to a work environment that supports wellbeing, encourages professional and personal development and celebrates successes.
- Annual Professional Development and Research Allowances
- Regular community gatherings and celebrations with staff and students (including Annual All Staff and Team Retreat Days)
- Free parking and access to a staff discount card
- Chaplaincy support for staff
For a position description, please click here.
Please apply via SEEK (Christchurch) and SEEK (Auckland) with a cover letter and CV to register your interest. Please state your curriculum area strengths in your cover letter. Applications for this role close 5pm, 15th October 2021.
If you would like to make a time for a phone call to discuss any queries, please e-mail Tracey McDowall, HR Consultant, Laidlaw College, [email protected]