Student Support Advisor (Partners)
We have an exciting opportunity for a Student Support Advisor (Partners) to join our Student Support team. The location of this role is flexible (Christchurch or Henderson) and will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
You’ll be working to provide student support to our partners, whose interns are completing Laidlaw theological qualifications A high proportion of these interns are distance learners. Your experience building relationships remotely and your proactive and caring support will be critical to ensuring their academic success.
You will report to the Student Support Manager and work with the wider staff team including Student Services and the School of Theology. This is a part time permanent role (16 hours per week). Specific days and hours of work will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Supporting students to manage their educational journey by helping them engage with academic processes
- Providing study skills support to students as required, including online tutoring for students in line with the Student Success Strategy and schedule of tutorials.
- Systematically assisting students with their study planning in conjunction with Student Services and the School of Theology.
- Keeping tutors up to date with academic support matters in their respective courses
- Facilitating appropriate ‘academic pastoral care’ for current students, in partnership with partners.
- Assisting with enquiries, admissions, enrolment and orientation of partner college students each semester
Who are we looking for?
The successful candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree (theological qualification preferred but not essential)
- A commitment to the Mission Statement of Laidlaw College
- Experience in academic support, with a solid understanding of academic processes in a tertiary-level educational environment
- Strong relationship building and communication skills.
- Excellent telephone and email manner and etiquette.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office applications, email, cloud and web-based systems).
- Preferably some understanding of distance learning, and the technologies and techniques involved in flexible distance learning delivery.
- An ability to respect and engage confidently with female and male students of all ethnicities and with differing theological and church affiliations.
Laidlaw College is the largest tertiary-level evangelical, interdenominational college in New Zealand. As a private training establishment, we offer quality education in theology, mission and ministry, counselling and education, with campuses in Henderson, Manukau and Christchurch. Study at Laidlaw is not only for those preparing for professional Christian ministry but is also for those who are seeking to deepen and integrate their faith into every area of life. We teach programmes from Certificate to Doctoral level.
Our Vision: A world shaped by love, compelled and informed by the Gospel.
Our Mission: To equip students and scholars to renew their communities with a faith as intelligent as it is courageous.
We offer a work environment that supports wellbeing, encourages professional and personal development and celebrates successes. These initiatives include:
- Regular community gatherings and celebrations with staff and students
- Childcare facilities, library and a café onsite (Henderson)
- Free parking and access to a staff discount card
- Regular events and training opportunities to support your professional and personal development
For a position description, please click here.
Please apply via SEEK with a covering letter and CV to register your interest. Applications for this role close 5pm 2 November 2020.
If you would like to make a time for a phone call to discuss any queries, please e-mail Tracey McDowall, HR Consultant, Laidlaw College, [email protected].