Graduate Certificate in Theology
The Graduate Certificate in Theology (GradCertTh) is designed for those who already have an undergraduate qualification and brings vocational expertise and life experience into dialogue with critical reflection on the Christian faith. Students studying these programmes will deepen their theological understanding and discover connections between theology and the wider world, the church and missions contexts.
Students can study towards the GradCertTh on campus in Henderson and Christchurch or by Distance Learning. A selection of GradCertTh courses are available on-site at the Manukau campus; check the timetable. This programme also allows for a range of flexible learning options, including a combination of on campus and Distance Learning courses, as well as part-time study.
The GradCertTh caters for:
- Graduates with a non-theological degree who wish to study towards a theological qualification with special emphasis on areas of personal interest;
- Graduates with qualifications in theology who wish to deepen their understanding of, and competence in, specific areas of ministry or theological study;
- Those who, although without a degree qualification, have a proven background in experience and academic study deemed to be equivalent to a degree;
- Those who have completed 60 credits of a GradDipTh, choose not to continue on and meet the GradCertTh requirements;
- Those who have completed a degree in a non-theological area but who wish to bridge into postgraduate
programmes in theology, such as the Masters level MTh.
|LEVEL||7, 60 credits|
|DURATION||Full time for half year, part-time options available|
|STARTS||February & July|
|CAMPUS||Henderson, Christchurch, Distance Learning, some courses available at Manukau|
- Church leadership
- Associate Pastor
- Christian Writing
- Intercultural ministries
- Pastoral Ministry
- Para-church Work
The GradCertTh is designed to:
- Extend a student’s understanding and skills in theology through academic instruction
- Establish a firm base for further study at postgraduate level
- Develop the student’s ability to access and utilise a body of knowledge in application to ministries-related situations
- Facilitate rigorous analysis and independent thinking, together with sound communication skills
The GradCertTh is a half year full-time (or part-time equivalent) programme. It is made up of four level 6 and 7 courses of 15 credits each. For students in the GradCertTh programme, course pre-requisite and corequisite regulations may be waived.
Elective courses are selected from the BTh course schedule.
Indigenous Theology Track
The Indigenous Theology track is being temporarily replaced in 2022 (subject to NZQA approval) by the Diploma in Christian Studies (Intercultural Studies) programme. There will be five 15 credit level 5 core courses and three 15 credit level 5 Māori or Pasifika strand courses. The six courses within the two strands may also be taken as part of the Graduate Certificate.
Click on the relevant campus timetable to find out when the various courses are taking place.
If you would like to discuss your study options or become a “Student for a Day” please contact:
Brittany Hartmann: [email protected] or 09 837 9791 (for Henderson and Manukau)
Gill Pawson: [email protected] or 03 354 4270 (for Christchurch)