Visas and Insurance

All accepted international students must have a Student Visa (or work visa with a variation of conditions) issued by the New Zealand Immigration Service before enrolling for study at Laidlaw College. Students on a Student Visa must study full-time (60 credits per semester).

To obtain a Student Visa you first need to apply and be accepted to study at Laidlaw College. You will need to pay your tuition fees, accommodation fees, and purchase medical insurance in advance in order for us to provide you with supporting documentation (Offer of Place letter) for your Student Visa application. Once you have the Offer of Place letter you are free to apply to New Zealand Immigration for a Student Visa.

For a full outline of this process, please see the Application Process for International Students: Application Process for International Students

For more immigration and student visa information please visit

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

Medical and Travel Insurance

The New Zealand Government requires that all international students have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance for the period of their study in New Zealand as international students are not eligible for publicly funded health services. Laidaw College has made arrangements with Uni-Care for a Group Schema to provide cover for overseas students.

Alternatively, you may arrange your own medical and travel insurance. If your insurer is an overseas company, you must provide policy details in English to Laidlaw College. Your policy must cover certain items.

For full information on the visa process for international students, please see the Application Process for International Students.