Te Kaiāwhina Tauira I Māori Student Support Advisor
We have an exciting opportunity for a Te Kaiāwhina Tauira to join our Student Support team. This role will be primarily situated in Henderson and Manukau with support offered to Christchurch and Distance Learning students as appropriate.
You’ll be working to provide student support to our Māori students across all our study programmes and campuses, enhancing their study experience and aiding their successful completion of courses. Your strong customer service focus and knowledge of te ao Māori will be critical to this role in connecting and forming relationships with students and ensuring their academic success.
You will report to the Student Support Manager and work with the wider staff team including our Pou Ārahi, Heads of Theology and Social Practice, Student Support Advisors and Student Services. This is a part time role. 32 hours across 4 days a week is preferred, however we are open to considering candidates who are available 16 hours a week or more. Please state your preference in your application.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Assisting students through the enquiry, application, enrolment, and orientation stages of admission to Laidlaw College
- Supporting students to successfully navigate their educational journey by helping them engage with academic processes
- Preparing lesson plans and materials for individual and small group tutorials and undertaking tutorials
- Referring students to pastoral care and counselling services as necessary.
- Engaging with relevant stakeholder communities to promote College programmes and the wider College and attend recruitment events.
- Developing relationships with key communities and groups, from whom potential students may be drawn
Who are we looking for?
The successful candidate will have:
- A strong commitment to the vision and mission of Laidlaw College
- Understanding and experience of te ao Māori
- A Bachelor’s Degree (a Degree in Counselling, Education or Theology related fields is preferred)
- Strong communication skills
- Thorough planning and organisational skills
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office applications, email, cloud and web-based systems) and attention to detail.
- The ability to work independently, but also collaboratively across departments
Laidlaw College is the largest tertiary-level evangelical, interdenominational college in New Zealand. As a private training establishment, we offer quality education in theology, mission and ministry, counselling and education, with campuses in Henderson, Manukau and Christchurch. Study at Laidlaw is not only for those preparing for professional Christian ministry but is also for those who are seeking to deepen and integrate their faith into every area of life. We teach programmes from Certificate to Doctoral level.
Our Vision: A world shaped by love, compelled and informed by the Gospel.
Our Mission: To equip students and scholars to renew their communities with a faith as intelligent as it is courageous.
We offer a work environment that supports wellbeing, encourages professional and personal development and celebrates successes. These initiatives include:
- Regular community gatherings and celebrations with staff and students
- Childcare facilities, library and a café onsite (Henderson)
- Free parking
- Access to a staff discount card
- Regular events and training opportunities to support your professional and personal development
For a position description, please click here
Please apply via SEEK with a covering letter and CV to register your interest. The interview process will commence as and when suitable candidates apply.
If you would like to make a time for a confidential phone call to discuss any queries, please e-mail Tracey McDowall, HR Consultant, Laidlaw College, [email protected].